【双语新闻】歌坛天后惠特尼·休斯顿昨日辞世

原文:http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2012/02/11/whitney-houston-dies.html

翻译:吟啸风寒

搜狗浏览器截图(4).jpg

Whitney Houston, who ruled as pop music’s queen until her majestic voice and regal image were ravaged by drug use, has died at the age of 48.Houston’s publicist, Kristen Foster, said Saturday that the singer had died, but the cause and the location of her death were unknown.

流行天后惠特尼·休斯顿于昨日辞世,享年48岁。在巅峰时期,她曾以魅力无比的声音和尊贵如女王般的形象让无数人倾倒。之后,她的形象和事业由于吸毒而被摧残。休斯顿的经纪人克里斯汀·福斯特证实了她已在本周六辞世,但是死因和地点不明。

News of Houston’s death came on the eve of music’s biggest night — the Grammy Awards. It’s a showcase where she once reigned, and her death was sure to case a heavy pall on Sunday’s ceremony. Houston’s longtime mentor Clive Davis was to hold his annual concert and dinner Saturday. It was unclear if it was going to go forward.

休斯顿辞世的当天正好是格莱美颁奖晚会举办的日子,这是音乐界最隆重的节日。她的死讯无疑给颁奖典礼笼罩上了浓重的阴影。具有讽刺意味的是,格莱美正是那个曾经让休斯顿大红大紫的舞台。休斯顿的心理顾问克莱夫·戴维斯在周六本打算举行他的年度音乐晚宴,目前不清楚此次宴会有没有因为休斯顿之死而被取消。

At her peak, Houston was the golden girl of the music industry. From the middle 1980s to the late 1990s, she was one of the world’s bestselling artists. She wowed audiences with effortless, powerful, and peerless vocals that were rooted in the black church but made palatable to the masses with a pop sheen. Her success carried her beyond music to movies, where she starred in hits like The Bodyguard and Waiting to Exhale.

在巅峰时期,休斯顿是音乐产业炙手可热的黄金女伶。从上世纪八十年代中期到九十年代末,她是世界上唱片销量最佳的歌手之一。她那轻灵有力、无与伦比、兼具灵歌风格和流行元素的声音曾经迷倒了无数听众。音乐上的成功让她进入影视界,并先后出演了《保镖》《等待梦醒时分》等大片。

She had the perfect voice, and the perfect image: a gorgeous singer who had sex appeal but was never overtly sexual, who maintained perfect poise. She influenced a generation of younger singers, from Christina Aguilera to Mariah Carey, who when she first came out sounded so much like Houston that many thought it was Houston.

她的声音和形象可以说无可挑剔——她在优雅中带着性感,却又不过火得风骚,保持着一种恰到好处的平衡。她的风格影响了之后的新生代歌手,如克里斯蒂娜·阿吉莱拉,玛利亚·凯瑞。玛利亚·凯瑞在出道之时由于声音和休斯顿如出一辙,曾获得了“小休斯顿”的封号。

Addiction woes 毒瘾的煎熬

But by the end of her career, Houston became a stunning cautionary tale of the toll of drug use. Her album sales plummeted and the hits stopped coming; her once serene image was shattered by a wild demeanor and bizarre public appearances. She confessed to abusing cocaine, marijuana and pills, and her once pristine voice became raspy and hoarse, unable to hit the high notes as she had during her prime.

在她事业的末期,她以自己伤痛的实例为吸毒者们敲响了警钟。她的唱片销量迅速下降,能打上榜单的歌曲也不再出现。她曾经淡泊宁静的公众形象也由于一系列飞扬跋扈的言论作态与不合时宜的抛头露面而被打破。她承认自己吸食可卡因、大麻和摇头丸,这使得她纯净完美的歌喉变得呕哑嘲哳,不再能完成曾经巅峰时期的高音。

“The biggest devil is me. I’m either my best friend or my worst enemy,” Houston told ABC’s Diane Sawyer in an infamous 2002 interview with then-husband Bobby Brown by her side. It was a tragic fall for a superstar who was one of the top-selling artists in pop music history, with more than 55 million records sold in the United States alone.

“我是最大的恶魔。我不是自己最好的朋友,就是自己最坏的敌人,”休斯顿在一次ABC的采访中坦陈。当时她的前夫鲍比·布朗就坐在她的旁边。这次采访给她的声誉带来了很大的负面影响。在此之前,休斯顿是流行音乐史上唱片最畅销的天皇巨星之一,她的唱片尽在美国就销量高达五千五百万张。而这次访谈,却成了她事业悲剧性的转折。

She seemed to be born into greatness. She was the daughter of gospel singer Cissy Houston, the cousin of 1960s pop diva Dionne Warwick and the goddaughter of Aretha Franklin. Houston first started singing in the church as a child. In her teens, she sang backup for Chaka Khan, Jermaine Jackson and others, in addition to modeling. It was around that time when music mogul Clive Davis first heard Houston perform.

休斯顿似乎是注定要大红大紫的。休斯顿的母亲西西·休斯顿是一位福音歌手,六十年代的流行女星迪翁·瓦维克是她的表亲,而奥利瑟·富兰克林是休斯顿的教父。她童年时就开始在教堂中唱歌。十几岁的时候她就为查卡·汉、杰梅因·杰克逊等著名歌手伴唱。她还曾经做过模特。就是在那段时间,她被音乐产业大亨克莱夫·戴维斯发现。

“The time that I first saw her singing in her mother’s act in a club … it was such a stunning impact,” Davis told Good Morning America.

“To hear this young girl breathe such fire into this song, I mean, it really sent the proverbial tingles up my spine,” he added.

“我第一次听她唱歌是在一个俱乐部里,那是她母亲的一次演出。印象简直太深刻了,”戴维斯在《美国早安》的采访中说道。

“我在她的歌声中听到了火一样的热情,我想说,这让我感到了那种传说中的脊骨一阵战栗。”

Before long, the rest of the country would feel it, too. Houston made her album debut in 1985 with Whitney Houston, which sold millions and spawned hit after hit. Saving All My Love for You brought her her first Grammy, for best female pop vocal. How Will I Know, You Give Good Love and The Greatest Love of All also became hit singles. Another multiplatinum album, Whitney, came out in 1987 and included hits like Where Do Broken Hearts Go and I Wanna Dance With Somebody.

之后没多久,她充满魅力的歌喉便开始让整个美国为之疯狂。休斯顿在1985年推出了自己的首张同名专辑。这张名为《Whitney Houston》的专辑销量上千万,其中多首曲目打入榜单。《为你珍存我所有的爱》这首歌让她获得了格莱美最佳流行女歌手的殊荣,这是她生涯中第一个格莱美奖。《我怎么知道》《有你爱多好》以及《爱的极致》等单曲都打上榜单。另一张在1987年推出的多白金唱片《惠特尼》中也有很多著名单曲,如《破碎的心无处可逃》《我想找个舞伴》等。

【歌曲】

When you believe (《埃及王子》主题曲,与Mariah Carey合唱)

(空间有限,接上文)

Early critical praise 早期评论界的美誉

The New York Times wrote that Houston “possesses one of her generation’s most powerful gospel-trained voices, but she eschews many of the churchier mannerisms of her forerunners. She uses ornamental gospel phrasing only sparingly, and instead of projecting an earthy, tearful vulnerability, communicates cool self-assurance and strength, building pop ballads to majestic, sustained peaks of intensity.”

纽约时报写道,“休斯顿在传承她家族结实有力的灵歌嗓音的同时,没有落入前人在唱法上的窠臼。她的演唱丝毫没有那种平庸土气、眼泪嗒嗒故作娇柔的卖弄,而是恰到好处地运用灵歌特有的装饰性嗓音,以一种冷峻沉稳的自信和力度,让流行的旋律有了恢弘、持久的张力。”

Houston’s decision not to follow the more soulful inflections of singers like Franklin drew criticism by some who saw her as playing down her black roots to go pop and reach white audiences. The criticism would become a constant refrain through much of her career. She was even booed during the Soul Train Awards in 1989.

休斯顿在演唱中没有遵循富兰克林等老派歌手的灵歌唱法。这让一些人认为她是在背弃传统、转向流行,以讨好更多的白人听众。在她大部分的歌唱生涯中,评论界对她的排斥已成了家常便饭。在1989年的“灵歌列车”颁奖典礼上,她甚至被人们嗤之以鼻。

“Sometimes it gets down to that, you know?” she told Katie Couric in 1996. “You’re not black enough for them. I don’t know. You’re not R&B enough. You’re very pop. The white audience has taken you away from them.”

“你知道吗?有些时候这会让人非常沮丧。”休斯顿在1996年在一次采访中对凯迪·克里克说,“他们说,你不够格成为一个黑人。我不知道。你的风格不是正经的R&B。你太流行了,去找你的白人听众吧!

Some saw her 1992 marriage to former New Edition member and soul crooner Bobby Brown as an attempt to refute those critics. It seemed to be an odd union; she was seen as pop’s pure princess while he had a bad-boy image, and already had children of his own. (The couple had a daughter, Bobbi Kristina, in 1993) Over the years, he would be arrested several times, on charges ranging from DUI to failure to pay child support. But Houston said their true personalities were not as far apart as people may have believed.

她在1992年与“新街区男孩”成员、灵歌男低音鲍比·布朗结婚。有人认为这是她对之前一些攻讦的回应。他俩的结合看起来有些不合适,两人一个是颇有风范的流行歌坛公主,另一个却一副坏小子模样,且已育有子女。(两人在1993年育有一女,鲍比·克里斯蒂娜)在他们婚姻的几年内,鲍比曾多次因醉驾或抚养不善而被逮捕。但是休斯顿说,两人的性格并不像人们想象得那样毫无交集。

搜狗浏览器截图(5).jpg

“When you love, you love. I mean, do you stop loving somebody because you have different images? You know, Bobby and I basically come from the same place,” she told Rolling Stone in 1993.

“You see somebody, and you deal with their image, that’s their image. It’s part of them; it’s not the whole picture. I am not always in a sequined gown. I am nobody’s angel.”

“情到深处身不由己。我想说,你会因为自己和爱人在形象上不匹配而结束感情吗?你们应该知道,我和鲍比基本上算是老乡,”休斯顿在1993年对滚石唱片公司说。

“很多时候,我们在和他人相处时,看到的仅仅是这个人的表面,而不是全部。(你们也许说他和我不配,但是)我也并不一直是舞台上那样穿着礼服、光彩照人。我也不是谁的天使。”

【歌曲】

I Have Nothing (fron the Bodyguard)

今天一回来就看到这个新闻了,太震惊了。。。默哀。。。
http://you.video.sina.com.cn/api/sinawebApi/outplayrefer.php/vid=71136129_1290055681_Oh6wSXE/WW7K+l1lHz2stqkP7KQNt6nki2O0u1ehIwZYQ0/XM5GeY9wE5ijUCdkEqDhAQ5k+dvgn1RQ/s.swf

早上一起来就震惊了。惋惜,真正的一代天后啊。

十分喜欢她和Mariah Carey合作的When you believe

早上同学发了个状态,我以为搞错了,接着震惊了,太突然了,噩耗啊!

Whitney Houston, we will always love you. 缅怀。

我也是偶然上了下人人才知道的

是啊,不过也没有什么惋惜的,她这一辈子已经值了。。

我就是从When you believe 才知道她的,声音确实很赞!

这首歌还是我室友推荐我的,那个被我怀疑的室友。

。。。。
后来证实了吗?

我没去证实,他不是我喜欢的类型,也不想去证实。

但他的举动都太怪了。